Today I’m chatting with an expert and a business owner on the subject of Marketing Automation, and how that can help you capture an audience early on, and set you up for forming good audience relations in the long term.
Our first guest is Kenda Macdonald, from Automation Ninjas. Kenda is an expert in behavioural marketing, and helps her clients use marketing automation at all stages of the customer journey, from first contact through to client onboarding.
Our second guest for today’s episode is Richard Edwards, who’s the founder of The R&D Community, which is a training academy and support service for accountants and specialist tax consultants doing R&D claims. Don’t worry if that’s not something you know much about – we don’t really talk about R&D claims, we talk about marketing! Particularly LinkedIn and list building, which are very important subjects.
Connect with Automation Ninjas
How to make the most of your email list when starting a business
Kenda and I talked about:
- What to do first to set yourself up for success with email marketing
- How to write a great email newsletter
- The most important automations to set up first
- The easiest kind of lead magnet to make for a new business
- What are onboarding and welcome series, and how to make them
Great Newsletter Examples:
Try Marketing Automation on Convertkit
There are loads of different platforms you can use for your initial email list and then for marketing automation. People seem to default to Mailchimp, but I actually find that the way it’s set up is a little confusing to use, once you get to the automation stage.
Instead I always recommend ConvertKit. As I mentioned earlier, the automations are really easy to use, and it’s also easy to design and send your newsletter emails, and keep track of who’s on your list.
I love it so much that I’ve actually joined their affiliate programme. If you sign up through the button below I get a commission on your subscription for the first 2 years, and it won’t cost you anything extra.
And of course, if ConverKit is not the right platform for you right now, there’s no obligation – it’s just an option there if it would be helpful for you.
Connect with The R&D Community
The R&D Community website (yes, it went live before the episode came out!)
How to build an audience by blogging on LinkedIn
With Richard I talked about:
- Where he found his initial customer group to develop the right product
- How he used his email newsletter to strengthen early connections
- The right (and wrong!) way to write on LinkedIn
- Why marketing automation is the right strategy for his new business
- The impact he’s hoping to have on the R&D industry.
If you want to hear all the details, click the player above to listen in.